Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lainey Bug's Birthday Bash

I can't believe how quickly this year has gone! For Lainey's first birthday, we had a ladybug theme party. It seems like just yesterday I nicknamed her Lainey Bug. I call a lot of things bug - I used to call our cat, Spencer, Spin Bug (yeah - it didn't make a lot of sense). So when we first brought Lainey home, and I was rocking her to sleep one night, I called her Lainey Bug and thought "hmm...I'm pretty clever. Lainey Bug like Lady Bug." Well, as it would turn out, I wasn't the first mom to call her Lainey that. Upon deciding to do a "Lainey Bug" theme, I found a lot of the lady bug invitations that used the name Lainey as the example. The day after our Lainey's party, we went to Carter's, where I heard a mom calling for her daughter Lainey. And as I listened again, she called her Lainey Bug. So much for mom trying to be original. But that doesn't mean this little Lainey Bug isn't. This year, my little bug has really grown into her little personality. When you first hold a baby, you have no idea what they will be like. But now that I know, I can look back and see hints of what is now deemed her personality even then. She cut her eyes at me as a newborn like she knows better than me, and she still does that now. She might be a little bug, but that personality of hers is larger than life!

Well, here are a few pics from the party. It was a blast! We had family, some of my friends from high school with their kids, friends from gymnastics, neighbors and friends from church. We felt so blessed to have everyone there to celebrate Lainey's first birthday. We hope they will all be in her life for years to come!

Following the party, Lainey opened her gifts with our immediate family around. It was then she decided to wow us with her first official steps. She began taking a couple of steps here and there for the last few weeks, but at her party, she did several in a row! The Robinsons gave her a ladybug walker. She zoomed around the house with it at first, but then she got so excited, she didn't realize she was actually pulling it, thus taking several steps in a row!   (The Robinsons also happen to be the family who let Lainey try out their son's dinosaur walker, which we later also bought. What would we do without them?!)


The cake was made by Shanna Hodges (who went to high school with mom), and the cake pops were made by Grammy, who spent hours learning how to make what Mommy dreamed up : ) 

For her upcoming birthday, we worked with Lainey to hold one finger up whenever somebody asked how old she was. Great trick!

Lainey splashing with all her little friends

Sugar low?

1 comment:

  1. we had such a great time! We love our "Nainee Bug" Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete